I will, however, take a moment to explain the the class structure. Class 13-07 is broken down into3 squadrons. I am in squadron 1, the Goldhawks. The hoyas and tigers are the other two. There are four flights in squadron 1. Imin flight 1-10. Much of our activities are done as a flight, including sitting in our flight room and memorizing stuff from a small book we must have on us (in a particular way depending on which uniform we have on- standardization is huge). We are always " in our knowledge" at the position of parade rest reading from these books when waiting outside the bathroom, for a briefing to begin, etc. it's futile sometimes though when you're that toted. I must have read the Air Force vision statement fifty times yesterday and retained about three words of it. Anyway, all our classroom instruction will take place in our flight room.
It's training day 2 now. Yesterday we woke up at 0430, and had to post outside our doors immediately. I don't really remember much else other than getting back at 2200 and having to type a memo before lights out. I sent it in at 2302, two minutes after lights out. I didn't catch anything for it today, but might at some point. Lesson learned- if you get something done after lights out, send it in at lights on at 0430 the next morning. Anyway, we did a physical fitness test today. I did well- too well I think. I wanted to not stand out too much. I ran the 1.5 mile run in 8:43. My fastest time ever. Not bad considering I hAve only slept for about 7 hours in the last two days. Hopefully there's room to improve. After that we showered and changed into airman battle uniforms for the first time. We worked on marching for a few hours on the drill pad. I forget what we did after that, but I'm sure it included a ton of getting yelled at for doing stuff no one told you how to do. Had a breifi g from the Chaplin, and then another one from an MTI ( military training instructor, an enlisted drill sergeant). He was very good and entertaining. Much better that when he's watching us march someplace and sees someone mess up.
Anyway, we got to eat our second meal in the dining hall for dinner. Too bad because MREs are actually pretty tasty.
After dinner we were matched back to our flight rooms. We never walk anywhere outside- we only march as flights and only when escorted by an OTS upperclassman. If we can demonstrate the ability to march on our own we will earn that privilege in a few weeks.
We lined up in the hall at attention by squadron and then had to call knowledge for a half hour. That's where an officer trainee (OT) sounds off and the squadron states whatever it was were supposed to yell. Today's objectives for knowledge was the Air Force mission, OTS mission and Air Force vision, along with a quote of the day.
We're now back in our rooms and I'm trimming and burning threads off my ABUs. Demerits get handed out starting Monday and I want to minimize the number I get. Below is a picture.
So far I'm finding this exciting, but its starting to wear everyone thin. The lack of sleep and constant activities is pretty demanding.

I'm really happy you decided to keep a blog, Tim. It's interesting to get the inside look on what goes on. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
ReplyDelete-Min