Monday, May 27, 2013

Flying instead of driving

During the three hour drive from where I live in Saratoga to my parents house in Pleasantville, NY I thought to myself "Why the hell did I think driving from NY to AL would be a good idea?"  I promptly called the unit's travel agency and booked a flight for Tuesday evening, as that was the cheapest flight (not that I'm paying for it).  I'll stay in a hotel in downtown Montgomery, AL on Tuesday night, get some breakfast with some future classmates, and show up at the base in the afternoon.

I spent a nice weekend at home with my family and friends, and drove back up to Saratoga on Monday (Memorial Day).  I've been having a problem with my cell phone; specifically, it sucks. While I was home I fixed that and upgraded from a flip phone to an iPhone 5.  This should enable me to share much more of my experiences since I will be partially cut off from the outside world.  Unlike basic training, officer trainees are allowed to have cell phones and use them after scheduled military training (0500 to 1700).  Since my gov't issued laptop wont have access to my Google account (which is how I write this blog) the cell phone should help.

Since I'm flying I have to fit everything into two bags, and an attache.  Come to think of it, even if I were driving I would have to do the same since everything has to be carried in one trip.
Believe it or not, everything I need is in that picture. Two sets ABUs, two sets short sleeve blues, 1 set service blues including service coat, 1 lightweight blues jacket, 4 sets physical training uniform, 1 set privilege uniform, 3 sets of civilian clothes, toiletries, all necessary footwear, and all accessories such as belts, nametags, etc.  I was surprised how it all fit into one large suitcase and a standard issue nylon duffle bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment