Wednesday, August 7, 2013
I, Timothy John Nonna, having been appointed a second lieutenant in the United States Air Force...
I'm finally back in Saratoga. Commissioning was yesterday morning. My father, Pop and fraternity brother Lt. Andrew Moyer, USN, all came down. It was an honor to have my oath of office administered by Drew (the oath has to be given by an officer).
Following the oath, my father and Pop pinned second lieutenant rank on the epaulets of my service coat. Overall it was a great day.
Looking back on it, I really had a good experience at OTS. It was certainly not easy. The first few weeks, which consisted of 17 hour days (17 hours of doing stuff without ten minutes to relax) were tough, but worthwhile. I met a lot of good people, some of which will be in my UPT class at Laughlin.
I'll keep this post pretty short.
In the days and weeks leading up to OTS, I viewed it simply as a formality that I had to go through so I could start doing what I really wanted to do- fly jets. I have a different viewpoint now. They must have done a real good job at OTS because they definately got me to drink the cool aid. Now I realize that I will be an officer first, and a pilot second. This is not to be confused with having flying as a second priority; its not. You need to be one before you can become the other. Even though I'm done with OTS, things are only going to get harder.
Now its time to get ready for what will probably be the most challenging year of my life- USAF undergraduate pilot training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment