Monday, June 17, 2013

TD-13

I haven't had a chance to update this blog in a while because we've been pretty busy.  Since last time we reached Phase One.  We have since reached Phase Two, but first I'll discuss some other stuff we did since then. 

The acamdemics are in full swing.  We are spending a lot of time on the "Leadership Studies" curriculum.  Some of this stuff is interesting, other parts of it are terribly boring. None of this really matters though because we don't really have time to actually learn the subjects.  Instead we are concerned only with completing homework assignments so we would be prepared for the first test, which happened last Thursday.  I scored a 93.something %.  The Class 13-07 average was an 88 I think.  I shouldn't have missed the questions I missed, but thats in the past now so I'll have to work harder on studying for the second test.  This was the first of two CWTs (consolodated written tests) that we have while we're here.  These make up the majority of our overalll grade. Other things that factor into our grade are field leadership excersizes and pysical fitness testing.

Getting to Phase One was not easy (we came in at Phase Zero).  It consisted of a Phase One Evaluation where the upper class pulled us out of class unexpectedly, lined us up in the hallway and asked us individually to recite knowledge we were suppoesed to memorize, such as the Airman's Creed, OTS Mission, AF Vision, Code of Conduct Articles 1 through however many there are, quotes of the day, and so on.  Every so often some of us would be sent into "Cube City" where the commissioned staff offices are.  That area was artificially filled with additional commissioned officers and upper classmen to test our knowledge of bracing and passing procedures, and also our procedures for reporting in to an officer.  Normally, this stuff would be easy, but all the yelling tended to throw people off their game.  I came out of it unscathed, and didn't have to take a second loop through, even though I almost did by accident.

 Phasing up to Phase Two was much better than going from zero to one.  It happened on Friday the 14th at the end of what is called the "Commander's Run".  We went on what I'm estimating to be a 5.5 mile run (not a long run by my standards) stopping at a number of landmarks around the base that had historical significance.  When we stopped the historical significance was explained by our Lower Flight Commander and Assistant Lower Flight Commander (These are both upper class Officer Trainees who are selected to mentor and teach, using many techniques not the least of which is "talking loudly," us lower class trainees).  After that we would do some sort of excersize that had some relation to the historical aspect of the stop.  For example, there is a B-52 static display; we did 52 pushups underneath it.  Another example; there is a full size metal sculpture of the Wright Flyer.  We did four 120 foot shuttle runs to commemorate the distance of the Wright Brother's first flight (coincidentally, my left quad cramped so bad on the first one I thought I pulled it- muscle cramps have been a problem down here for me probably because of the heat/humidity leading to profuse sweating casuing a lack of electrolytes).  Anyway, after all these various stops we ended up at the Air Univeristy (AU) Headquarters.  This  building was actually where Air Corps Tactical School was located in the 30's.  Anyway, in front of that building is a prop & wings statue, which is significant because it was the original insignia of the Army Air Service in 1920, and is now given to Officer Trainees, AF Academy Cadets and ROTC cadets.  Anyway, after a speach by the OTS Commandant (hence the event being called the Commander's Run) the upper class pinned our prop & wings on us.  These insignia will be worn on our flight cap as part of our blues uniform while we are OTs.

Upon returning to our rooms we found that the upper class also put our Phase Two epaulets on our blues shirts, pinned another prop and wings on our flight caps, and also left a surprise on the inside of our flight caps which I'll discuss on August 6th after graduation.


With Phase two came some additional privleges.  We no longer have to brace the wall when passing commissioned staff or upper class.  The upper class has also been noticably nicer to us.  They now refer to us as "sir/ma'am" rather than "OT."  More importantly we can leave the OTS complex (but not Maxwell AFB).  This meant a trip to the base exchange.  For some reason I ended up buying all sorts of stuff I dont even like and never normally eat, such as cookies and red bull. Another nice thing was getting to wear our "privilege uniform" which is a polo shirt and khakis. That was the first time I've worn civilian clothes in over two weeks. 

 Phase Two also means that weekend meals are optional, so some of us ate at the golf course on Saturday.  Weekday dinners in the dining facility are also no longer tight meals, meaning we can talk, and we no don't have to sit at the modified position of seated attention (we can lean back, feet dont have to be at a 45 degree angle with the heels together, unused hands dont have to be bladed and grounded to the front of the knee, we get more than 3-5 minutes to eat etc).

Today consisted of field lessons where we learned tactical communication, land navigation and small unit tactics.  The rest of the week is almost entirely classes, but at least they get more interesting.  They are mostly from our "Warfare Studies" curriculum, and occur in a lecture hall with the entire class and are taught by a civilian (retired AF) lecturer (as opposed to most of the other classes, which occur in our flight room and are taught by our flight commander). This week's topics are airpower from pre-WWI all the way through the Cold War. 

In other news, the upper class graduates tomorrow.  Next week is M9 qualifications and some expediationary leadership excersizes; almost no classes for the entire week, so there is plenty to look forward to.

Its also much cooler this week. Last week it was in the mid to high 90's, very humid and sunny.  Apparently that's unusually hot for this time of year, even down here.  Needless to say, that heat combined with wearing ABU's (Airmans Battle Uniforms- long pands, undershirts, long sleeve shirts, hat, and boots) is not pleasant.  I routinely sweat all the way through them. 

Overall things are going pretty well.  I was told that the first two weeks really suck, and it gets better after that.  We are almost three weeks in at this point.  So far, that is turning out to be true.






No comments:

Post a Comment